Go Back   The Lumiverse Forums > The Luminaries Community Forums > Gaming Discussion

Gaming Discussion Discussions about PC and Console Gaming.

Old 12-12-2009, 01:17 AM   #1
Dag
Rest your trigger on my finger

Points: 54,050, Level: 100 Points: 54,050, Level: 100 Points: 54,050, Level: 100
Level up: 2%, 0 Points needed
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Dag is a splendid one to beholdDag is a splendid one to beholdDag is a splendid one to beholdDag is a splendid one to beholdDag is a splendid one to beholdDag is a splendid one to beholdDag is a splendid one to behold
Default 8 bit love

My earliest memories is of sitting right in front of my tv playing an atari game while momma was in the kitchen cooking mmm mmm.

But the sega master system was the system that I remember the most as I was old enough to actually remember and finish the games.

My older brother had 1 in his apartment and my older sister wanted one as she used to be a gamer back in the day too.

When she graduated junior high my day bought her one for a present and it became the family console.

It came with 1 cartridge hang on/astro warrior.

Seen below.

Even my dad got into it and would play this with us, and we would discuss strat on how to beat each level.
I don't think you could ever beat it it just repeated itself over and over and got harder every time if you beat all the bosses.

Phantasy Star
The first rpg I ever played.
I didn't really know what to do or how to play this as a kid but I still loved it. I would just keep making a new game and repeating it till the part where I couldn't beat it because I didn't know what else to do and I loved it.
Believe it or not at the time 86-87 this game was revolutionary and way ahead of the pack. First person mode in dungeons, and a female heroine for the main character hadn't been done yet to my knowledge. Maybe its why I always roll girl chars Alis was my first rpg love .

Ending.

Golvellius
ending.
(he appears to be walking over everything because towards the end of the game you got boots with wings on them so you could "fly" over all the terrain)

Good Zelda clone or better then zelda. Really never owning a nes I had no idea who link or zelda was till I saw a Saturday morning cartoon. But I loved playing this game. 1 of my favorite action adventure games of all time. And the most epic 8 bit music you will ever find. I used to blare this from my tv. I to this day still listen to this soundtrack in winamp as I was able to locate sound files for it.

Quartet full speed run.

Just showing how quick games like this could be played through back in the day. Quartet was one of those games were you could have 2 people playing co-op at the same time. In the 8 bit days that was rare.

And a blast from Evy's Past
Dragon Warrior.

There is no law beyond Do what thou wilt.
Love is the law, love under will.The priest of the princes,
ANKH-F-N-KHONSU
The Luminaries Founder
Site Admin
Hekas Hekas Este Bebeloi
Dag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 01:46 AM   #2
Juggernaut
legendary post whore

Points: 9,979, Level: 66 Points: 9,979, Level: 66 Points: 9,979, Level: 66
Level up: 67%, 71 Points needed
Level up: 67% Level up: 67% Level up: 67%
Juggernaut is a splendid one to beholdJuggernaut is a splendid one to beholdJuggernaut is a splendid one to beholdJuggernaut is a splendid one to beholdJuggernaut is a splendid one to beholdJuggernaut is a splendid one to beholdJuggernaut is a splendid one to behold

Mega Man X for the SNES is the earliest game I remember playing. I only got past the spider on the final level like once before I was 10 and I was heartbroken that there was still another boss...and again when I was 12 and found out there was yet another boss

Once a year after I was 5 I remember going to visit my grandparents' house and playing Duck Hunt and Super Mario Bros 3. I would sit so close to the screen playing duck hunt that I sometimes hit the tv with the tip of the gun. In Mario Bros I think I just used the whistles to get to the final level and then failed every time trying to get to the castle

The first game I think I ever beat was gunstar heroes for the Sega Genesis. I had to kick my sister off "her" system a few times to do it too. I remember renting that game like 5 times with my friend before my parents just bought it. And it still took us awhile to finally beat it. As soon as we got further than we ever got before, we found out there was yet another boss to beat.
Old 12-12-2009, 02:46 AM   #3
Dag

Points: 54,050, Level: 100 Points: 54,050, Level: 100 Points: 54,050, Level: 100
Dag is a splendid one to beholdDag is a splendid one to beholdDag is a splendid one to beholdDag is a splendid one to beholdDag is a splendid one to beholdDag is a splendid one to beholdDag is a splendid one to behold

You have failed jugg this thread is about 8 bit love. You'll have to wait for the 16 bit love thread for snes & genesis memories you bastard!

continuing on with some more 8 bit love here's a 5 part speed run of wonder boy 3 the dragons trap my absolute favorite master system game to play. It was probably my most favorite game to play at the time. It also felt so epic to but this speed run makes it look like child's play..... which I guess it was.. but...

whatever.

Part 1/5

Part 2/5

Part 2a/5

Part 3/5

Part 4/5

Part 5/5

ANKH-F-N-KHONSU
The Luminaries Founder
Site Admin
Hekas Hekas Este Bebeloi

Last edited by Dag; 12-12-2009 at 03:54 AM.
Old 12-12-2009, 07:45 AM   #4
Badol
Luminari

Points: 6,336, Level: 51 Points: 6,336, Level: 51 Points: 6,336, Level: 51
Level up: 52%, 14 Points needed
Level up: 52% Level up: 52% Level up: 52%
Badol is a jewel in the roughBadol is a jewel in the roughBadol is a jewel in the roughBadol is a jewel in the rough

8-Bits, now we're talking. The Age when gamers became gamers. I actually miss the old 8-bit and 16-bit days...but here's to 8-Bits and all the fun I remember having as a child.

My Favorite 8-Bit Games (Sorry Dag, all NES, I never had a Sega)

Dragon Warrior, my first rpg...no video, dag already added one...

Double Dragon, I had 1-3, part 2 was the shit, and 3, personally, I loved it, but others hated it...video is for part 2

Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

Marble Madness
YouTube- Marble Madness NES speed run
Contra, bastard is video makes it look so fucking easy...

Adventures of Bayou Billy, I hated this game, but was addicted to trying to beat it

Battle Chess

Battletoads

Blades of Steel

Blaster Master, loved this game so much...never beat it...

Bubble Bobble

Dig Dug

Excitebike

Ikari Warriors, tanks 'nuff said!

Metroid, also is 1987 Dag with female main character, but you knew that (the video says 86...but whatever...plus he sucks)

Mike Tyson's Punch Out, I had a Power Glove...I still couldn't knock Mike out

Ninja Gaiden, I spent most of the time just running around and jumping off of stuff, it was fun

Q*Bert

R.C. Pro Am

Skate or Die 2, ok, I never actually played the "game" I would play ramp mode all day and get super high scores and have the chick come out with her hearts and all of that...it was great.

Smash TV, listen to this kid in the video...I had to laugh

Tecmo Bowl, sooo much fun back then lol

Tecmo Super Bowl, best football game ever...now it's all Madden

WWF WrestleMania, doing cartwheel kicks with Bam Bam Bigelow never got old (Seriously, listen to this guy, I laughed again.)

TMNT, was hard...
TMNT 2:ARcade Game, was...well...ok, I guess. It wasn't the arcade game I was hoping for.

That's just about all the games I ever had for NES. I had some crappy ones, but they aren't worth mentioning, except to say, I had crappy games.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:52 AM   #5
Threshy
Nothinghead.

Points: 10,783, Level: 68 Points: 10,783, Level: 68 Points: 10,783, Level: 68
Level up: 69%, 67 Points needed
Level up: 69% Level up: 69% Level up: 69%
Threshy has much to be proud ofThreshy has much to be proud ofThreshy has much to be proud ofThreshy has much to be proud ofThreshy has much to be proud ofThreshy has much to be proud ofThreshy has much to be proud ofThreshy has much to be proud of

WOW! Badol just blew up my childhood. Yeah, you listed just about every game I loved as a kid. My brother and I were SO addicted to Skate or Die. Contra was the game that got me addicted to videogames in general. Bayou Billy was a game that I "borrowed" from a friend and we all "forgot" about it.

Pretty much every game Badol listed I loved.

In the same vein as Skate or Die. There was also Skitchin', but I think that was Genesis. So maybe I'll save that for another thread. 16 bit love?
Old 12-12-2009, 01:12 PM   #6
Juggernaut
legendary post whore

Juggernaut is a splendid one to beholdJuggernaut is a splendid one to beholdJuggernaut is a splendid one to beholdJuggernaut is a splendid one to beholdJuggernaut is a splendid one to beholdJuggernaut is a splendid one to beholdJuggernaut is a splendid one to behold

I just wanted to feel part of the group!

At least a third of my post was 8 bit...right? NES isn't too advanced...I think.
Old 12-12-2009, 03:59 PM   #7
Beahr
Luminari

Points: 8,713, Level: 62 Points: 8,713, Level: 62 Points: 8,713, Level: 62
Level up: 63%, 37 Points needed
Level up: 63% Level up: 63% Level up: 63%
Beahr is a jewel in the roughBeahr is a jewel in the roughBeahr is a jewel in the roughBeahr is a jewel in the rough

This is so not fair to the likes of me and Jug, I was BORN in 1987!

But battletoads holds a special, special place in my heart.

Contra was so terribly hard for how young I was that I have no recollection of ever getting farther than like 3 minutes in to the game before dying.

I also enjoyed me some Dragon Warrior
Beahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 04:49 PM   #8
Juggernaut
legendary post whore

I am even worse off than you Joe. 1990! I don't even remember a time I had a computer without the ctrl alt del sequence.
Old 12-12-2009, 07:18 PM   #9
Beahr
Luminari

Points: 8,713, Level: 62 Points: 8,713, Level: 62 Points: 8,713, Level: 62
Level up: 63%, 37 Points needed
Level up: 63% Level up: 63% Level up: 63%
Beahr is a jewel in the roughBeahr is a jewel in the roughBeahr is a jewel in the roughBeahr is a jewel in the rough

Whoops Jug thought you were closer to my age :P, now I, for the first time ever in this guild, feel sorta old hehe.

The only reason I know any of this stuff is because of Ken tho, since he had all these games/systems handy for me once I was old enough to play them
Beahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 06:13 AM   #10
Dag

oh they'll be a 16 bit thread all of this is for a reason.

I too had many crappy sega master system games. I posted my most favorites but here are a few more that deserve a little mention.

Miracle Warriors.

Another hardcore Japanese port rpg. The reason I didn't find the grind in aion bad is because I used to play a game like this for hours. It came with a gigantic fold out map too. I think my brother bought it for me as a birthday present 1 year. This game is fucking hard! And very grindy I never finished it. I will someday I know it .

Penguin Land
I hated and loved this game it was very cute but could be very frustrating. Basically there were around 99 rounds and you had to get those eggs to the bottom of each round without breaking them. you had 3 lives(eggs) to do it. The cool part was it came with a map editor and you could make your own levels and make your friend play through them.

Psycho Fox
One of those weird sega platformers this one you could switch between multiple characters.

Cloud Master
Another really trippy sega game from my youth this one was a challenging side shooter that was just frigging odd but great.

Alex Kidd and the lost stars
Before Sonic there was alex kidd I think there was about 3 alex kidd games on the sega master system. The lost stars was the second one. Its the first alex kidd game I ever played its really corny. There's 6 different levels that you repeat a second time around and they get harder on the last 6 the objective was to get all 12 signs of the zodiac or something.

game is too cheesy to just show 1 level here is level 3.

ANKH-F-N-KHONSU
The Luminaries Founder
Site Admin
Hekas Hekas Este Bebeloi

Last edited by Dag; 12-13-2009 at 06:23 AM.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:04 PM   #11
Juggernaut
legendary post whore

Will there be a hand held thread where we talk about gameboy games...and virtua boy games?
Old 06-23-2013, 06:52 PM   #12
Dag

bumping because I need to confess that I still hum this song at the age of 32. From all the hours of grinding dungeons I did in this game as a kid, it's stayed with me.

ANKH-F-N-KHONSU
The Luminaries Founder
Site Admin
Hekas Hekas Este Bebeloi

Last edited by Dag; 06-23-2013 at 06:56 PM.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:28 PM   #13
Dag

moar

ANKH-F-N-KHONSU
The Luminaries Founder
Site Admin
Hekas Hekas Este Bebeloi
Old 08-13-2013, 06:23 PM   #14
Dag

me too I just couldn't get enough phantasy star.

Just wish the online games didn't seem so cheesy.

ANKH-F-N-KHONSU
The Luminaries Founder
Site Admin
Hekas Hekas Este Bebeloi