Go Back   The Lumiverse Forums > The Luminaries Community Forums > Gaming Discussion

Gaming Discussion Discussions about PC and Console Gaming.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:15 PM   #16
Peitis
Initiate

Points: 4,773, Level: 44 Points: 4,773, Level: 44 Points: 4,773, Level: 44
Level up: 45%, 177 Points needed
Level up: 45% Level up: 45% Level up: 45%
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Peitis will become famous soon enough

Sam and I have been playing and haven't encountered any bugs. The ones mentioned at Kotaku were fixed in a patch within a day. The only bug I've seen others complaining about was the white raven one mentioned in the article, but if you walk 30 feet outside the station (where the bird was supposed to lead you), you can continue the quest.

I was pretty interested in this game when it was announced. The beta was just terrible and disappointing. I am totally surprised how much this game turned around. I've spent hours on the mystery quests. The hints are cryptic and subtle and you're expected to use google and the town websites to help for a few of them (built-in browser).

http://www.kingsmouth.com/

http://www.kingsmouthcurrent.com/

They also set up fake Twitter accounts for some of the residents, which was kind of cool.

This game does seem to infuriate players that want to arrive at a new town, round up all the quests, grind them out, turn them in and move on. I respect that but I figure I've played that kind of game in at least 10 "different" settings .

As picky as I am, I definitely recommend picking it up. There are lots of actiony quests, but that isn't the point of a secret society game! Just be warned that the answers are not always obvious and you may get stuck. The community tries to keep a spoiler-free chat and forum. Sam and I found ourselves discussing one of the illuminati mysteries we were stuck on at dinner. Definitely a cool experience.

Last edited by Peitis; 07-06-2012 at 03:25 PM.
Peitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:44 PM   #17
Xaric
Luminari

Points: 8,079, Level: 60 Points: 8,079, Level: 60 Points: 8,079, Level: 60
Level up: 61%, 71 Points needed
Level up: 61% Level up: 61% Level up: 61%
Xaric will become famous soon enough

No idea how you read Kotaku anymore, I just shrug off their articles as soon as I see the name Kotaku mentioned in anything, especially after they attempted to defend the entire Mass Effect 3 ending.

I was pretty against Secret World when I played it in beta, as evident by my earlier post a while back. This was a feeling I kept pretty much up to the games release and I had pushed the game out of thought.

After reading a several page review that PC Gamer did on their experience playing, as well as talking to a few people who were in early access, I came to find out that the game had completely turned around from the experience I had gone through in the beta.

Sammy summed up most of what I enjoy about this game, and while their are the occasional kill X quests, most of the quests require you to use your brain and spend time attempting to figure them out. The game intentionally forces you to go outside the walls of the game world, and use real world tools to solve some of the harder riddles within the game, most of which often give you extremely cryptic clues and leave it up to you to figure out. Sure you can just cry in chat that its too hard and you want someone to tell you, but I actually turned general chat completely off and Sammy and I worked together to solve the puzzles, which had us combing through Bible passages, looking at time on clocks, looking up wiki pages on real life people and so on.

This is how Bounty Hunter missions in SWTOR should have been done.

The quests are also heavily varied, one moment you are working to find out who a doctors favorite composer is so you can get the password to his computer (which has to be found out of game using clues found around his house) the next moment you are throwing molotov cocktails and setting mines for zombie hordes.

There's also quests that work much like Splinter Cell. They have no fighting in them but require you to navigate an area of cameras, lasers, and other crap that wants to see you die.

Heres a spoiler free version of one of the story quests, which has you following a song through a large area of the first zone. Fighting mobs while this song is playing is pretty epic as everything but the song is very muffled and in a dream like state.

The other aspect to this is the combat. There are no classes or character levels, and I have found myself trying out lots of different things. I have a blade/chaos build for tanking, a pistol/hammer build for support and a shotgun/elemental build for dps.

If you are a fan of authors like Lovecraft, the game falls heavily on the lore of authors like him as you work for your secret society to pull at the strings of what is happening to the world. The real life injections found everywhere really add to the gaming experience and bring you into the world.

PvP is also very well done, there are two battlegrounds as well as a persistent one that never ends and all 3 factions fight in it for control points around the map. For each point you control you give a buff to everyone in your secret society that improves leveling speed.

Have some pictures. (Sorry I have to play on medium settings, game looks fantastic on ultra.)

Church that gives you the hard investigation quests.

Me and Sammy, yes I am wearing a Cthulhu shirt.

Having a nice conversation.

Siren's Song.

Oh look, a hoochie.

Zombies f'n up Maine.

Last edited by Xaric; 07-06-2012 at 03:50 PM.
Xaric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:05 PM   #18
Asarlai
Luminari

Points: 8,839, Level: 63 Points: 8,839, Level: 63 Points: 8,839, Level: 63
Level up: 64%, 211 Points needed
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Asarlai is just really niceAsarlai is just really niceAsarlai is just really niceAsarlai is just really niceAsarlai is just really nice

People at work were talking about this today. I did find a review on ZAM that provides candid descriptions while remaining fairly positive. I had an Evoker in Hellgate: London that melted entire levels, so if anything, I would be interested in the magic system.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:07 PM   #19
Xaric
Luminari

Magic is extremely fun and potent, and with the three different trees of magic schools there's a lot of options there. Here's a skill planner if you get bored at work.

http://thesecretsandbox.com/Deck/

If you decide to play, Sammy and I are Templars on the Cerberus server.

Old 07-07-2012, 08:40 PM   #20
Asarlai
Luminari

Asarlai is just really niceAsarlai is just really niceAsarlai is just really niceAsarlai is just really niceAsarlai is just really nice

Cerberus is full, so I made an Illuminati on Daemon.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:36 PM   #21
Xaric
Luminari

Decided to jack up my settings to ultra and give it a go. My card isn't DX11 so I am missing some of the effects, but man does this game look good on ultra.

I managed to catch the lighting in this area as the sun was going down, the atmosphere Funcom managed to create is pretty fantastic.

This one looks almost real.

Old 07-08-2012, 06:02 AM   #22
Dag
Rest your trigger on my finger

Points: 54,050, Level: 100 Points: 54,050, Level: 100 Points: 54,050, Level: 100
Level up: 2%, 0 Points needed
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%
Dag is a splendid one to beholdDag is a splendid one to beholdDag is a splendid one to beholdDag is a splendid one to beholdDag is a splendid one to beholdDag is a splendid one to beholdDag is a splendid one to behold

My absolute favorite general gaming news site for many years used to be
Scary's Shugashack which became shacknews.com.

It started off as just a quake 1 fansite but then Steve Gibson expanded and hired other people. I went there several times a day, but alas around 2009 Steve sold it to gamefly and ended up getting a marketing job at Gearbox and shacknews turned to shit. I can't even look at it much anymore because I think the layout for one is horrible.

I don't really have a favorite gaming news or blog site anymore it's hard to trust most of them since oddly enough big game publishers seem to mysteriously sponsor the popular blogs right around the time they have a major release coming out with a pending review from said sites article writers.

I used to love watching the epileptic gaming podcast because it was just regular gaming guys and sometimes girls doing it for fun reviewing games based on their own experience likes and dislikes with no payola type stuff going on. I think only the host djwheat had any ties to the industry being an esports caster.

I mostly just use a news aggregator like Pulse from my tablet to get my daily does of news. And pick and choose to read articles based on the headline :P

Screenshots from my xoom
Screenshot_2012-07-08-06-25-47.jpegScreenshot_2012-07-08-06-26-15.jpegScreenshot_2012-07-08-06-26-56.jpegScreenshot_2012-07-08-07-07-59.jpeg

I pretty much have nothing but a hate relationship with funcom but I was willing to check out Secret World at least in beta to see what was up since I pretty much try all the betas I can. But after reading a few of your beta experiences I just went "eww gross why the ewww man that sounds shitty ewww just gross no way do not want ewwww wtf I don't even ewwww I can't beliewwwwww"

Right about now I don't seem to have as much free time to delve into another mmo with everything going on especially with guild wars 2 just on the horizon finally. So I'm going to have to skip this one. I would have played a dragon anyway :O. Maybe someday if failcom keeps it from sucking for a year or two.

but srsly ewww gross just ewww why you no ewwww?

There is no law beyond Do what thou wilt.
Love is the law, love under will.The priest of the princes,
ANKH-F-N-KHONSU
The Luminaries Founder
Site Admin
Hekas Hekas Este Bebeloi

Last edited by Dag; 07-08-2012 at 06:12 AM.
Dag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:56 PM   #23
Asarlai
Luminari

I was also turned off by Sam's first review, but the game is pretty solid. It will be an excellent filler until GW2 releases.

The early zones seem quite small, but there is a lot of atmosphere and depth in the environment and the NPC's. Some NPC's even have a short cutscene when you first meet them to provide an apect of their character. The zones are also laid out so that the main story usually trails through other quest points, but if one wanders, there are hidden quests to find, too. The voice acting is professional and consistent throughout, which adds more to the atmosphere and mystery of what is going on. They have quests, but many have optional dialogue to provide more backdrop and to flesh out their character.

Strewn across the zones, there are lore nodes, (floating orange squares), that provide information on the three factions, the zone, and the characters. There are achievements to finding a set, and I have found quite a few in difficult to reach places, even in the starter zone. It reads like a well crafted story, and some are humourous, but they usually raise even more questions as a good mystery should.

I have the graphics turned up and the game world is very realistic and colourful, changing in "mood" as one nears dangerous areas. I have not encountered lag, so the client is quite rigourous, despite the issues I had had when Age of Conan first came out. This game is prettier, but less taxing on system resources. The sound is also very well done and adds to the creepy vibe that permeates the changed Earth.

I have not tried many powers yet, but the skill wheel is very easy to use and select a path for character progression. I have a shotgun and elemental powers, so far. The shotgun is an aoe weapon by default, but the latter I specced for single target. I have not had an issue against any mobs yet, but mobs do have challenging varieties, and many use different tactics where one needs to adapt. Combat has no autoattacks, so one continually needs to select powers, or to choose when to use a finishing move. The effects that certain "builder" attacks generate can often be exploited by use of the right finisher.

There are 500 skills to choose from, seven active and seven passive, so the variety between any two PC's is far more significant than any previous game. It depends how deep we get into GW2, but I may keep this one on the hard drive, there is so much to see, and powers to utilize.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:43 PM   #24
Xaric
Luminari

Glad you enjoy it Ron.

What's funny, is I actually feel the voice acting and animations in TSW are of higher quality than what was created in SWTOR. Each character in TSW seems to be voiced by a different person, and each has their unique personality and animations.

Shotgun/Ele is what I run too as I work to unlock the Magus deck for the outfit. Its an extremely powerful combo, especially when you get skills like Thor's Hammer. I have unlocked a bunch of the inner wheel sections completely, and I can say that none of them have felt useless or less powerful. Each one has pretty distinct advantages and disadvantages. After Magus I am going to go for the Witch Hunter deck, which is Blades/Hammers.

When you get to Polaris (the first dungeon) let us know, we can run it with you even though you are not on the same server or the same faction. We can do all the PvE content together, just not PvP.

For anyone looking to simply check it out, I do have 1 24 hour buddy key I can send out, and I am sure Ron and Sammy have one as well.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:59 PM   #25
Xaric
Luminari

What's your in game name Ron? I tried adding all your normal names but none of them matched.

Anyways have more pictures.

This was taken in the Dragon home zone of Korea, they are all playing Starcraft....

Spoiler on this picture.

I leave Maine for two years and all hell breaks loose....

Then I found myself in Shambhala, spoilers again.

And some PvP.

Old 07-12-2012, 04:52 PM   #26
Asarlai
Luminari

Maliese is my current default for spellcasters. Not sure I like Illuminati, now that I have checked out all of their decks. Only Illusionist looks cool, but the Templars have about 4 decks I like, including my preferred Ele/Shotgun. I have been staying in Kingsmouth doing every single quest, including one that had me alt-tab to record a morse code radio signal, slow it down, then convert it to coordinates. (I had thought it was a phone number or street address at first.)

I have not been on the past couple of nights as I have a work project that I have been working on for two weeks now. I hope there are other clothes I can buy tonight, or I am ditching this toon.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:59 PM   #27
Xaric
Luminari

You can buy clothes at the shop in London as well as the cash shop. The deck outfits for Templar are pretty much what sealed the deal with me going with them, although being aligned with the organization that has made demon killing its main profession for the past several thousand years doesn't seem like a bad idea either.

And yea that morse code quest was really well done. Never thought Id be doing that in a game.

If you wind up re-rolling, try to get a Templar on Cerberus, normally takes like 5 mins of pressing create character before it lets you in.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:08 PM   #28
Dag

Points: 54,050, Level: 100 Points: 54,050, Level: 100 Points: 54,050, Level: 100
Dag is a splendid one to beholdDag is a splendid one to beholdDag is a splendid one to beholdDag is a splendid one to beholdDag is a splendid one to beholdDag is a splendid one to beholdDag is a splendid one to behold

failcom makes TSW

optional to pay!?!?!?!?!

http://www.thesecretworld.com/news/s...onger_required

you still has to buy the game though.

But I think more mmo's should follow the guild wars model. If its good enough ppl will keep coming back.

ANKH-F-N-KHONSU
The Luminaries Founder
Site Admin
Hekas Hekas Este Bebeloi

Last edited by Dag; 12-12-2012 at 01:12 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:57 PM   #29
Asarlai
Luminari

The quests were some of the best challenges I have ever seen in any game, let alone an MMO. Thankfully, I already like Vivaldi, so on an early quest clue, I knew the music. It delved into both real science and the mystical, but if one reads the biography of Newton, one would realise that the father of science spent time in both worlds.

An interesting and involving game, but no reason to play a different faction for a second playthrough, as all the quests are exactly the same, only the "reason" changes. If they keep adding new zones and innovative questing, it would be reason enough to come back every three months and try the new stuff.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:04 PM   #30
Dag

just noticed amazon has digital copes for $15 vs physical and steam for $29.95

ANKH-F-N-KHONSU
The Luminaries Founder
Site Admin
Hekas Hekas Este Bebeloi