Go Back   The Lumiverse Forums > The Luminaries Community Forums > Gaming Discussion

Gaming Discussion Discussions about PC and Console Gaming.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:11 PM   #1
Xaric
Luminari

Points: 8,079, Level: 60 Points: 8,079, Level: 60 Points: 8,079, Level: 60
Level up: 61%, 71 Points needed
Level up: 61% Level up: 61% Level up: 61%
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Xaric will become famous soon enough
Default DayZ

Not sure if anyone has gotten a chance to check this out, but I thought it may be worth mentioning. I caught wind of this mod for Arma II about a week ago and didn't think much of it until I watched a few videos of it.

Basically it is a hardcore persistent world zombie horror survival game. You basically spawn in with a revolver, some ammo and a small amount of food and it is up to you to find water, food, shelter, ammo and just basically survive for as long as possible while fighting/avoiding zombies and other players. Currently the average life span for players is 28 minutes, down from four hours a few weeks ago.

The game is all about choices, do you hunker down in the dark and not give away your position, or do you light a flare to search some buildings for food before you starve? Do you venture into the city in search of supplies and risk alerting a city full of zombies or do you stick to the mountains to look for smaller supplies? Do you shoot anyone you see, or do you try to avoid as much as possible?

It's still in Alpha, so it has plenty of issues and weird bugs, but it may be something fun to check out for anyone that has the game or was looking at picking it up. I know most of us are in sort of a gaming slump so I figured I'd throw it out there.

Some Vids -

Last edited by Xaric; 05-31-2012 at 01:14 PM.
Xaric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 11:40 AM   #2
Xaric
Luminari

So I finally went in and played this last night, man what an intense gaming experience.

My first endeavor out I managed to survive about four hours. When I first spawned in it was pouring, so I had to immediately find shelter so my body temperature would not drop too low and I would avoid an infection. I found a warehouse nearby, and made my way inside, closing the doors behind me and took the time to get used to the games controls. I also found some extra food and a hatchet for gathering fire wood as I explored around the building.

I realized that the rain wasn't going to let up, and I was burning day light sitting in the building so I decided to venture out. As I moved out I heard the sound of flies buzzing about, and a quick move around the corner revealed the corpse of another survivor and about 15 dead zombies. Whether he went down fighting them, or someone took advantage of the situation, I will never know. Being new and scared I booked it for the tree line and headed into the woods to get away from the coast line.

I followed the road but stayed inside the trees, eventually coming up on a small industrial area which I moved through quietly, finding a hunting knife and some extra ammo. I continued to move through the woods, eventually coming to a small farm where I managed to get my hands on a lever action rifle, some ammo and some extra supplies.

I eventually decided to head into a larger city to see if I could find myself a tent and a larger pack, and this is where it all started to go wrong. When I first entered the city I went to explore a construction site, and while on the highest part of it, I made a misstep and fell off the side, breaking both my legs and knocking myself unconscious. I lay there, bleeding out and unable to do anything until I awoke. When I did finally get back up, I had to bandage myself, take my pain killers and inject some morphine to keep myself going, but the damage was done. I was now half dead, my screen was shaking, and it was very hard to aim my weapon.

Eventually I found myself running low on food and water. I was out of painkillers and bandages and had two rounds a piece left in my two guns. I had no choice but to venture into town to look for more supplies. As I worked my way into town, I crouched and crawled as best I could, but a lone zombie behind a fence saw me despite my efforts. I had no where to run, and fired a shot dropping him to the ground. More started to appear around the corner, and with my last three rounds I dropped three more, but it was no use. As more streamed around the corner I tried to make a break for it, but my low health was my downfall. I got knocked down and tried to crawl as the undead tore me apart, each time I tried to stand, my wounds got the best of me and I fell to the floor, and in a few moments, I was dead.

It's hard to explain what makes this mod so fun, perhaps its the sheer simplicity of it. There are no points, no scores, no quests. There is no epic gear to obtain or raids or bosses or achievements to display. There is just you and them. A simple misstep off a ledge can be your death, ammo and food are precious, and the contemplation that is required for each action is intense. Lack of food and ammo drove me to town, and to my death. Had I better managed my food earlier, I probably would have survived. It's not a game for everyone, but if you are looking for something completely different, you can get this mod installed for under $20.

Last edited by Xaric; 06-03-2012 at 03:33 PM.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:38 PM   #3
Xaric
Luminari

In the spirit of who knows what, I am continuing my zombie land adventure stories.

Today was an interesting day, something I should have figured seeing it was a weekend. My first spawn in today after my death yesterday found me just outside one of the largest cities in the game, smack dab in the middle of a train station. As I moved forward I found another survivor running from a horde. I nervously aimed my gun towards him, no longer trusting any of my fellow survivors and watched as he quickly dispatched the zombies that were streaming at him. As he turned me saw my gun aimed at him, and his arms locked, pistol pointed directly back at me and there we sat, neither moving nor saying a word. It was he who broke the tension first, moving his gun down to the ground in a show of non hostility.

I slowly moved away, and began my trip, following the railroad tracks in hopes they would lead me to somewhere I could obtain some gear all the while keeping a corner eye on my new friend. Suddenly he broke into a full sprint, closing on me quickly and I spun around, gun at the ready hoping that for once a fellow survivor simply wanted to work together. Sadly this would not be the case, and before I knew it his gun lit up and instinctively mine did as well. Hordes of zombies swarmed into our exchange and quickly the clicking sound let me know that I had expended my mag, completely into this persons chest. As he hit the ground I quickly ejected my mag and reloaded to try to fend off the horde, but it was too late. Several rounds had found their way into me, it was over. Unconsciousness overtook me, and away I went.

My third spawn I decided to completely change tactics. The coast was nothing but death, and this time I decided to get the hell away from it as quickly as possible. I booked it inland, never stopping till I hit the tree line, but I was not alone.

In front of me dashed another player, and I dropped down to take aim just in case. I watched for a minute, as he ran full sprint, never realizing I could end him in an instant. I was about to leave when I realized he saw me, and without hesitation he began to fire, both shots missed and I unloaded an entire clip into his chest. Before I could even reload, he was dead.

I knew other survivors must have heard the shots and I knew my time was short. With a full sprint I ran to his body, grabbing everything I could of value that I could carry, and into the woods I went. I ran for what felt like miles on end, never stopping or slowing, never looking to see what was in towns. I have no idea where I am on the map now, but I have managed to survive the entire day. I move in the tree lines, finding old hunting camps, tree blinds and small farm houses that I can search for provisions. I've claimed a larger pack, an automatic weapon and a one shot pistol and I keep moving. I never stick to one spot for long, and when I do need to enter a city, I get what I can and get out as quickly as possible, making it a point to avoid open fields and landmarks where other players may have set up a base.

I still have no compass, map, or watch but I have been using the sun to keep me facing in the same direction and to let me know the time of day. I've stocked up on several cans of food, three water canteens and a heat pack to keep myself replenished and heated for a while. We will see if I can make it through the night.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:14 PM   #4
Beahr
Luminari

Points: 8,713, Level: 62 Points: 8,713, Level: 62 Points: 8,713, Level: 62
Level up: 63%, 37 Points needed
Level up: 63% Level up: 63% Level up: 63%
Beahr is a jewel in the roughBeahr is a jewel in the roughBeahr is a jewel in the roughBeahr is a jewel in the rough

This sounds like A - something I would really enjoy and B - something I would be very, very bad at lol. Sounds like a ton of fun though in a strange way. Would be a lot of fun to have a couple people grouped together and chatting on vent while trying to survive.
Beahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:28 PM   #5
Beahr
Luminari

Beahr is a jewel in the roughBeahr is a jewel in the roughBeahr is a jewel in the roughBeahr is a jewel in the rough

Do you have to buy arma II to play it or can you just download the free demo and still use the mod?

edit - nevermind, figured it out hah.

And downloading it now

Sounded like too much change of pace fun to pass up!

Last edited by Beahr; 06-03-2012 at 09:51 PM.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:05 PM   #6
Xaric
Luminari

Here's the most detailed link I have found so far for getting the game going.

http://kodabar.blogspot.com/2012/05/...ma-2-free.html

Basically their are tiers you can get which change the graphical quality but also increase in price.

Lowest textures but cheapest price = Arma II free + Operation Arrowhead
Highest Level World Textures but placeholder character textures = Arma 2 Combined Operations
Highest Level Textures for everything = Arma X Anniversary Edition
All of these are on Steam.

The only real thing is when you first play the game will ask you if you want a male or female character, whatever you pick the very first time is your choice forever and you can never change it, so be mindful of that.

Once the game is installed and you have run it once, I would also suggest following the tweeks here for increased game performance. Don't bother with the FOV change, DayZ's FOV is locked server side to put everyone on the same playing field.

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=1355

And read the Wiki here so you can overload yourself with info.

http://dayzwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

It is a massive amount of fun, and is completely addicting. Your character is saved no matter the server, so you can actually bounce around servers and never have to worry about losing your progress. There are levels of servers, all with their own rule sets. Some allow third person, name plates and crosshairs, while some have no cross hairs or name plates but allow third person, and then there are others that have none of it and are purely hardcore.

Last edited by Xaric; 06-03-2012 at 10:13 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:27 AM   #7
joshua
Luminari

Points: 5,345, Level: 46 Points: 5,345, Level: 46 Points: 5,345, Level: 46
Level up: 47%, 5 Points needed
Level up: 47% Level up: 47% Level up: 47%
joshua will become famous soon enough

I've been watching videos of this game for like, the past three hours! Crazy stuff.

"Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!"
joshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:27 AM   #8
Xaric
Luminari

You should join us, $20's to have one hell of a unique gaming experience.

Joe and I managed to make a valiant last stand atop a hospital last night, except I fell off and died and he was later eaten while I watched from a distance.

Old 06-04-2012, 01:03 PM   #9
Xaric
Luminari

Playing as an organized group, with helicopters!

Old 06-04-2012, 01:03 PM   #10
Beahr
Luminari

Gah I just typed a massive Sam-style write up and the post failed and I lost it all.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:41 PM   #11
Beahr
Luminari

Ok this is really a lot of fun in a strange way, especially when grouped up on vent like Sam and I have been doing. I just cackled to sam that its like modern day oregon trail with zombies and the risk of other players shooting you.

More of you should pick it up, never played anything even close this before and it really is a uniquely good time.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:33 PM   #12
Xaric
Luminari

Joe and I had a pretty epic survival night last night.

At one point we went into a town, only to see another player stalking about near a wooden fence line. Joe called that the guy was about to aggro a zombie that was coming in from the side street near the fence. Of course he was, and Joe and I lay prone in the grass, hearing his screams as the zombies killed him, and we watched on knowing that soon his loot would be ours. After he died we made our way down, moving slowly as to not alert the same zombies he did. At some point one of us pissed off one of the dead, however, and we ran to take shelter inside a building. A few zombies came in, and we put them down.

For whatever reason, the noise of our shots aggrod what seemed like the entire population of the map. Zombie after zombie streamed in, 5, 10, 15, they just kept coming. We must have put down around 15-20 before we were both out of ammo, and there were at least 15 more in the building still with us. I quickly tried to look around for some extra ammo, a rifle, anything to survive with, but there was nothing. The zombies cornered me in and I met my end.

Later last night we actually managed to survive for quite a few hours. We booked it into the hills and just made our way through the woods. We found a castle at one point and realized it would make one hell of a base if we get more people to play. There's one door in to the keep, and from the top you can snipe anyone in all directions plus see for miles.

A little while after we left the keep, we actually found a tent, and we returned to the castle to see if we could place it there. I managed to get it down at one point, but clicked the wrong button and packed it up and for whatever reason couldn't get it placed again.

The night ended when Joe bugged out after putting a different skin on, after which I had to shoot him in the head and take all his stuff. My character is actually still alive and this is the longest we have survived together yet. I'm going to attempt to keep this character alive, and just grab any other lumi that comes to play.

I know Arm will be in today or tomorrow, and I am working on getting Sammy playing. Going to be epic with a group of us, especially if we can take over that keep.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:17 PM   #13
Beahr
Luminari

Yes it was quite awesome. When we got cornered in that house there were two rooms, each with two doors to it, so we just took one side, i took the right door sam took the left and we hunkered down defending ourselves. I will say that I was not expecting anywhere near that number of zombies so I wasn't conserving ammo by any means and basically just unloading on the streams of them coming in. Sam was a little more intelligent about it and slowly headshot one after the other, leaving me out of ammo first. I tried to stay in the corner to distract them a bit giving sam more time to pick them off, but eventually I just turned and fled, leaving sam to his doom. It didn't much matter as I had no ammo and couldnt shake the horde on my tail and went down as well.

It was definitely a lot of fun. You can survive indefinitely hanging out in the small villages and just getting by, but the real fun comes in trying to collect the rare, big town/big ticket items such as matches, a map, gps locator, watch, binoculars, and of course the bigger guns. For those you have to pick the right town at the right time and sneak in and get lucky, as the good spots are constantly monitored by the more experienced players who camp and pick off other survivors and take their loot.

Now that Sam has shot me in the head and looted me I'm gonna have to start over ... since sam has some solid gear and more than enough food and water for both of us im gonna try and slide through a major city and see if I can't nab a rare item or two then escape out to where he logged, since at the beginning you really have nothing to lose if you die trying something risky. The longer you live and more stuff you collect the more terrifying and nervous and cautious you get of being ganked or overwhelmed by monkey zombies.

*Edit* Snuck through solo and managed to get another set of binoculars, a watch, shitload of food and drink and a lee enfield with ammo. logged out in the woods waiting to group up now that im semi geared again lol.

Last edited by Beahr; 06-05-2012 at 03:34 PM.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:57 PM   #14
Xaric
Luminari

Couple Tips for anyone starting.

1. Don't ever put on a new skin if you find one. This includes camo, ghillie, or even other survivor skins. Putting one on will cause you to have a 50% chance to spawn in the ocean each time you log in until you die.

2. Learn the controls. The movement in DayZ is the most important thing you can master. Pay attention to the eye and ear icon on the right side of the screen. Each little wave blip shows how much sound you are making and how easily you can be seen.

Sprinting makes the most noise and makes you stand out, zombies will see you a mile away if you sprint. Only sprint when moving through forests or fields you know are void of any zombies.

Crouching is the middle ground. Moving while crouched is slower than standing but gives you a lower profile and you will make far less noise. Holding shift while crouching will do a walking crouch, one of the best ways to move around a town when you aren't sure where zombies or players are.

Prone is the best way of moving through heavy areas of zombies or when you think a sniper may be near. It's the slowest, but in prone you make no noise and can move past most zombies without being detected.

3. Pay attention to the types of zombies. There are 3 distinct kinds that do something different.

Runners - These are the ones that are standing up and walking around slowly. As soon as you aggro one they will break into a full sprint to get to you, you cannot outrun them sprinting, but they may grow tired of chasing you and break off, other times they will keep chasing you.

Monkey - These are the ones that are hunched over and hop around with their hands on the ground. These guys are slow, and can be outrun, but have a higher chance to see you when you are crouched.

Crawlers - These guys basically crawl on the ground the same way you do when prone. If they crawl past you when you are prone, they will see you unlike the other two and you will aggro everything.

Zombies are attracted to sound and light, so the louder the gun, the more zombies you are going to pull. You can use things like flares as a distraction to lure them away from an area - only works at night.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:32 PM   #15
Asarlai
Luminari

Points: 8,839, Level: 63 Points: 8,839, Level: 63 Points: 8,839, Level: 63
Level up: 64%, 211 Points needed
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Asarlai is just really niceAsarlai is just really niceAsarlai is just really niceAsarlai is just really niceAsarlai is just really nice

Okay, you two have convinced me the zombie apocalypse is more fun than going through my Splinter Cell library, so I am going to download it. Actually, Sam's first story had me interested, I have just been lazy in getting around to it.