Go Back   The Lumiverse Forums > News Related > Announcements

Announcements Important Announcements and news dealing with the website or The Lumiverse.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:23 PM   #1
Dag
Rest your trigger on my finger

Points: 54,050, Level: 100 Points: 54,050, Level: 100 Points: 54,050, Level: 100
Level up: 2%, 0 Points needed
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Dag is a splendid one to beholdDag is a splendid one to beholdDag is a splendid one to beholdDag is a splendid one to beholdDag is a splendid one to beholdDag is a splendid one to beholdDag is a splendid one to behold
Default Nasty forum bug

I'm trying to figure out how to fix a really annoying forum bug I've been encountering lately.

I first noticed it when I tried to re post the rift beta patch notes from rifts beta forums to ours.
I would get an internal database error if I posted a long forum post. It just happened to me again when I was making a post about rift that was a bit long winded. So for now as a band-aid if you type a lot like me and you get said error you might have to split your posts in two or three reply's I'm not sure what's causing the error if our host added some security or if its a really bad bug that crept up in the 3.xx version of vbulletin or not I'm driving myself crazy trying to figure out what it is.

I'll let you know if and when I find out what's going on.

There is no law beyond Do what thou wilt.
Love is the law, love under will.The priest of the princes,
ANKH-F-N-KHONSU
The Luminaries Founder
Site Admin
Hekas Hekas Este Bebeloi
Old 02-09-2011, 10:47 PM   #2
Dag

Points: 54,050, Level: 100 Points: 54,050, Level: 100 Points: 54,050, Level: 100
Dag is a splendid one to beholdDag is a splendid one to beholdDag is a splendid one to beholdDag is a splendid one to beholdDag is a splendid one to beholdDag is a splendid one to beholdDag is a splendid one to behold

So I've been troubleshooting this problem and I have a few things I can try on my end this weekend before I ask our server host if its just an aggressive mod_security rule they put on the server or not, and if they can fix it.

From trial an error I found it was the word "from" causing an immediate error 500 in my last rift post. If I put the paragraph with the words "from" in a different paragraph in the post it worked but in that last paragraph it would fail for example if you took and posted this below and add the word from at the very end of this rant it causes the error.

Copy below here and add from at the end and try to post

Well open beta is next week.
I'm not really all that excited.

Something happened between beta 5 and beta 6 for me it killed a lot of the fun factor. Rift is still a solid game however it left me feeling disappointed with the game and with Trion. First I remember reading some leaked notes about racial changes and I thought someone was just trolling I looked at them and laughed like yeah right that's a good one.

And then I read them in the official beta 6 patch notes days later and thought really? Devs came up with these ideas? Alpha players then gave a thumbs up to this? really? really? wtf is wrong with these people.

The racial as they were, were fine. They had 6 unique abilities that had their use in pve and pvp. Only 1 was op because it had to do with getting 10% more crit damage and 10% more crit heal. Rather then think of a way to remedy this problem they nerfed all of them and gave us these crappy out of combat abilities. I feel it was not a well thought out decision and just a reaction to some whiny feedback.

They also made all the mobs in the game much tougher which is okay but, Back in the first beta I tried beta 2 my character felt slightly only slightly op and I figured it would get looked at. Whether it did or not I'm unsure as I leveled up in the late teens into the twenties I felt the difference. Mana regen starts to get slower and slower once you get past say lvl 15-16 for casters. So that seemed to balance itself out. Now that they toughened up the mobs the balance seems out of wack and my toon to me felt underpowered. If felt much weaker in beta 6 then it did in beta 5 which gives me the feeling of allods pve. My character gets punished by becoming weaker every time I level unless I'm getting top of the line gear at every level. Which feels like this game is going to turn into a constant pve gear grind before we even reach max lvl.

Looking through the beta forums afterwords I obviously wasn't alone in my feeling because there were a lot of negative feedback threads on beta 6.

I also wasn't enjoying my cleric like I had in previous betas it could be that the target ring is still terrible and trion has gotten tons of negative feedback about it but still has not changed it or made it better. The little pink arrow band-aid they give us wasn't much of a help its just as bad. The targeting in the game is still very bad if I kill one mob standing right next to another then hit tab it selects a mob 20 meters behind it......

Worst of all I think the ui still sucks for healers like me. Its customizable but I still have a tough time with my reactions and I feel like a bad healer.

Despite that I will still be sticking to cleric because whether I find it enjoyable or not I feel in this game healing is more challenging then any mmo I've played before so I would like to try to master it. Even if that means spending 4 hours configuring the best ui I can think of in the open beta.

Hopefully something good happens between now and the open beta and trion makes some positive
last minute changes in the 2 days they have

ANKH-F-N-KHONSU
The Luminaries Founder
Site Admin
Hekas Hekas Este Bebeloi
Old 11-30-2011, 10:36 AM   #3
Dag

Well this was about a 10 month old problem that I finally got around to getting resolved.

It took awhile mainly due to me being lazy and or too busy to bother with it. But I finally contacted our server host and had them take a look at the problem and yes it was mod_security.

If that went over your head let me explain in brief. Our server runs off "Apache" which is an open source Linux server. Very good server software too. It's what put Linux and the open source movement on the map.

Anyhow mod_security is an open source application layer firewall for Apache servers. It watches for malicious activity and is pretty decent security for a server however if the rule set is written too strict it can cause problems when doing legitimate things. Which I believe was the case here it was causing a conflict with vbulletin.

But after a little back n fourth with the host staff I believe the conflict is now resolved and you should no longer have problems typing and posting long winded pros because of certain words, for example.

Well open beta is next week.
I'm not really all that excited.

Something happened between beta 5 and beta 6 for me it killed a lot of the fun factor. Rift is still a solid game however it left me feeling disappointed with the game and with Trion. First I remember reading some leaked notes about racial changes and I thought someone was just trolling I looked at them and laughed like yeah right that's a good one.

And then I read them in the official beta 6 patch notes days later and thought really? Devs came up with these ideas? Alpha players then gave a thumbs up to this? really? really? wtf is wrong with these people.

The racial as they were, were fine. They had 6 unique abilities that had their use in pve and pvp. Only 1 was op because it had to do with getting 10% more crit damage and 10% more crit heal. Rather then think of a way to remedy this problem they nerfed all of them and gave us these crappy out of combat abilities. I feel it was not a well thought out decision and just a reaction to some whiny feedback.

They also made all the mobs in the game much tougher which is okay but, Back in the first beta I tried beta 2 my character felt slightly only slightly op and I figured it would get looked at. Whether it did or not I'm unsure as I leveled up in the late teens into the twenties I felt the difference. Mana regen starts to get slower and slower once you get past say lvl 15-16 for casters. So that seemed to balance itself out. Now that they toughened up the mobs the balance seems out of wack and my toon to me felt underpowered. If felt much weaker in beta 6 then it did in beta 5 which gives me the feeling of allods pve. My character gets punished by becoming weaker every time I level unless I'm getting top of the line gear at every level. Which feels like this game is going to turn into a constant pve gear grind before we even reach max lvl.

Looking through the beta forums afterwords I obviously wasn't alone in my feeling because there were a lot of negative feedback threads on beta 6.

I also wasn't enjoying my cleric like I had in previous betas it could be that the target ring is still terrible and trion has gotten tons of negative feedback about it but still has not changed it or made it better. The little pink arrow band-aid they give us wasn't much of a help its just as bad. The targeting in the game is still very bad if I kill one mob standing right next to another then hit tab it selects a mob 20 meters behind it......

Worst of all I think the ui still sucks for healers like me. Its customizable but I still have a tough time with my reactions and I feel like a bad healer.

Despite that I will still be sticking to cleric because whether I find it enjoyable or not I feel in this game healing is more challenging then any mmo I've played before so I would like to try to master it. Even if that means spending 4 hours configuring the best ui I can think of in the open beta.

Hopefully something good happens between now and the open beta and trion makes some positive
last minute changes in the 2 days they have from from from from from from from from from from from from from from from from from from from from from from from from from from from from from from from from from from from from from from from from from from from from from from from from

hehe that should now work. That bug was different then when the server times out or is under load and we get a database error. That usually occurs when the server is under heavy load and can't connect with the mysql database which is the backbone of this entire site. Remember this site is on a shared hosting package meaning we aren't on our own server we share the same server with other websites. So if one of those sites is causing problems for the server it affects us too.

But anyhow the point being is feel free to spam the forums with gigantic posts again all should be well.

ANKH-F-N-KHONSU
The Luminaries Founder
Site Admin
Hekas Hekas Este Bebeloi

Last edited by Dag; 11-30-2011 at 10:43 AM.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:57 AM   #4
Asarlai
Luminari

Points: 8,839, Level: 63 Points: 8,839, Level: 63 Points: 8,839, Level: 63
Level up: 64%, 211 Points needed
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Asarlai is just really niceAsarlai is just really niceAsarlai is just really niceAsarlai is just really niceAsarlai is just really nice

Sweet! I hated this bug. Now I can go back to my ridiculously long, daily journal that I was going to do, and now have months of backlog to enter: Diatribes on the Inane.