Go Back   The Lumiverse Forums > The Luminaries Community Forums > Hardware & Technology

Hardware & Technology Discussions about all the tech toys we love.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:55 AM   #1
Dag
Rest your trigger on my finger

Points: 54,050, Level: 100 Points: 54,050, Level: 100 Points: 54,050, Level: 100
Level up: 2%, 0 Points needed
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Dag is a splendid one to beholdDag is a splendid one to beholdDag is a splendid one to beholdDag is a splendid one to beholdDag is a splendid one to beholdDag is a splendid one to beholdDag is a splendid one to behold
Default Ipod

So I've pretty much opened up almost every electronic I've owned from consoles to standalone dvd players, I've replaced broken lcd screens and done all types of tiny soldering jobs but this goddamn ipod was the biggest diy project pita I've had yet.

My ipod classic 6/7th gen 120 gig had a crappy headphone port I would buy new earbuds and then within a week one channel would go out and then the other would distort. I've long suspected it was apple's crappy hardware peripherals and not the headphones/earbuds I was using.

So I was looking around on the web and found it was a common problem with ipods after the warranty expires the headphone port's crap out a lot of the time.

Rather then spend another $200+ on a new one or getting a used one off ebay I found a place that sells replacements parts.

http://www.ifixit.com/

I spent a little over $50 buying the headphone and hold button replacement parts and some small tools I might have needed.

The biggest pain was just getting the fucking case off it probably took me about 20 minutes as I was trying to do it with those blue plastic "ipod opening" tools as you can see in the pics below I broke the tips off trying to open it with them. I ended up just using a small precision flathead to do the job.

Yeah the ipod classic wasn't meant to be opened easily but I did it and replaced apples crappy headphone port with one that works and saved $200+ not buying another damn ipod and all is well in Daggstown yes I am that awesome. Fuck you world!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20120308_220954.jpg (669.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20120308_221001.jpg (747.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20120308_221033.jpg (727.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20120308_224605.jpg (539.5 KB, 5 views)

There is no law beyond Do what thou wilt.
Love is the law, love under will.The priest of the princes,
ANKH-F-N-KHONSU
The Luminaries Founder
Site Admin
Hekas Hekas Este Bebeloi

Last edited by Dag; 03-09-2012 at 12:59 AM.
Dag is offline   Reply With Quote